In the 1940s, there was a hospital located on the hill over-looking Bantama Township designated African and European Hospitals. As their names implied, the African side treated Africans while the European side treated Europeans. However, on some rare occasions, high-ranking African government officials were given treatment in the European section.
By 1952, the need to construct a new hospital to cater for the fast increasing population in Kumasi and therefore Ashanti Region arose. The European Hospital was therefore transferred to the Kwadaso Military Quarters to make way for the new project to begin. In 1954/55 the new hospital complex was completed and named the Kumasi Central Hospital. The name was later changed to the Komfo Anokye Hospital in honour and memory of the powerful and legendary fetish priest, Komfo Anokye.
The hospital became a Teaching hospital in 1975 for the training of Medical Student in collaboration with the School of Medical Sciences of the University of Science and Technology, Kumasi
To become a medical centre of excellence offering Clinical and Non-Clinical services of the highest quality standards comparable to any international standards', within 5 years.
To provide quality services to meet the needs and expectations of all its clients. This will be achieved through well-motivated and committed staff applying best practice and innovation.