In line with the hospital's mandate, the A&E directorate is mandated to provide the following:
· Advanced clinical care services to support the primary and secondary levels of healthcare delivery in the country
· Training of health professionals.
· Conducting research into common diseases and effective methods of treating them.
The directorate provides advanced clinical care through specialist outpatient consultation services, inpatient services and surgical operative care. The main scope of services provided by the Directorate is in the area of Trauma and Orthopaedics Surgery.
The Directorate provides services at the following main points in the hospital:
· Outpatient Services: Consulting Room 9
· Inpatient Services: Ward C1, C2 and C3
· Emergency Services: Resuscitation area (Trauma), Major and Minor Procedures area, Clinical Decision Unit
(CDU), Triage (Screening area)
· Surgical Operations: Theatres 1 - 4 at the centre
· Others: Pharmacy, POP room
The Directorate is collaborating with the Ghana College of Physicians and Surgeons and international partners to commence training of trauma/orthopaedic surgeons in the hospital. This is part of the hospital's efforts to build capacity in the area of trauma/orthopaedics surgery.