DirectoratesVarious Directorates of the Hospital
EMERGENCY MEDICINE DIRECTORATE
Dr. Maxwell Osei Ampofo
BACKGROUND INFORMATION AND HISTORY OF THE DIRECTORATE
The Emergency Medicine Directorate is one of the Clinical Directorates at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) which was established in the year 2009.It is the only Centre in West Africa accredited for the training of Emergency Physicians and Emergency nurses. It is physically located on the ground floor of the Accident and Emergency Center, KATH.
- It has the staff strength of 289. It is also composed of eight (8) functional areas and a six (6) member management team. The initial design had a total bed capacity of (35) We are currently operating with a bed capacity of 111.
- The Directorate also has created senior level roles for a Residency coordinator and a Research coordinator. These two positions receive some clinical time difference in exchange for performing the associated duties.
Our mission is to create a world class emergency directorate that delivers high quality evidence based patient care, that trains the next generation of Emergency personnel, and is a leader in Emergency Medicine research.
- Provide world class emergency medical services to the population, through well motivated staff.
- Provide high quality training for health professionals in Emergency Medicine
- To create a research environment that adds to the knowledge of the specialty.
- Support Primary and Secondary Health institutions and national disaster/emergency
The vision of Emergency Medicine directorate is to provide excellent emergency services comparable to international standards.
STRUCTURE AND MEMBERSHIP OF MANAGEMENT TEAM
The Emergency Medicine Directorate has a six (6) member management team comprising;
Head of Directorate, Lead Clinician, Nurse Manager, Pharmacy Manager, Business Manager and Accountant.
- Head of Directorate- -Dr. Maxwell Osei -Ampofo
- Lead Clinician – Dr. Rockefeller Oteng
- Nurse Manager -Mrs. Augustina Nkrumah
- Pharmacy Manager -Mr. Michael Assenso
- Business Manager -Mr. Eric Oduro- Yeboah
- Accountant – Mr. Frank Oduro Kyei
There are other unit heads of the directorate who manage the day today activities of the various units.
- The directorate currently has eight (8) functional areas including:
Entry point for all patients. They undergo a systematic process to determine the severity of their presentation and then are sent to the appropriate area for clinical care.
This area manages the most severely ill or injured patients, who often require immediate life saving/sustaining interventions.
Airway management, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, trauma resuscitation , point of care ultrasound, ECG’s and other interventions are provided as necessary.
Manages the acutely ill and injured who are triaged here. Provides emergent care that saves/spares life and limb
Functionally able to provide most emergency interventions, provided the equipment is available.High volume of patients with high acuity area
Management point for the least acute emergency patients.
High in volume, typically with one focal complaint, highest rate of turnover
Clinical Decision Unit (Male, Female & Paediatrics)
Intended to be an area where EM patients are held for no more than 24hrs awaiting discharge home.
Currently admitted patients are temporary held there awaiting admission to the wards.
Provide clinical input into the pharmacological aspect of the management of patients in the directorate
Adverse drug reaction monitoring and follow-up
Provide medications prescribed for patients
Patients requiring isolated procedure may be triaged directly here
All emergency medicine procedures can be performed here.
Minor surgical procedures can also be performed in this area.
We provide specialty trained nursing staff for those patients directly admitted to this area.
HUMAN RESOURCE SITUATION
Emergency Medicine Directorate has total staff strength of Two Hundred and Eighty- Nine (289) comprising the following category of staff.
- Consultant – 2
- Specialists/Senior Specialist – 13
- Residents -6
- Medical Officers 5
- Nurses – 188
- Pharmacists -6
- Pharmacy Technicians – 5
- Administrative Staff -10
- Health Care Assistants- 22
- Orderlies -18
- NABCO Nurses-6
- NABCO HCA-1
The directorate has two (2) main research units that deals with various research activities in the department employing an e-records (Electronic Records) system of data collection and management.
Current researches being undertaken in the Directorate include;
- ACESO- Ongoing
- Traumatic Brain Injury- Ongoing
- Trauma Registry- Ongoing.
- DEMBO (Glycaemic emergencies)-Ongoing
The Directorate ensures regular training and upgrading of knowledge and skills through many continuous professional development workshops such as AETC (Advanced Emergency Trauma Course), Point of care ultrasound course(POCUS) and also encourages participation in international workshops and conferences. The directorate hosts the secretariat of the National Advanced Trauma Life Support(ATLS) with a number of staff of the directorate serving in diverse roles including; National ATLS Coordinator, State ATLS Course Director ,ATLS Co-Director and ATLS Instructors.
Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital
Emergency Medicine Directorate
P.O. Box 1934
NAMES AND NATURE OF LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL PARTNER ORGANISATIONS
Emergency Medicine Directorate currently has collaborations with The University of Michigan and the University of Florida.
- Emergency Medicine @ 10 -Series of Activities to mark 10years of Emergency Medicine in Ghana. -November 20-22, 2019
- ATLS Provider course June 2019 and December 2019
- ATLS Region 15 meeting in Ghana-September 2020